Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Pack Rat's Guide to Traveling Light - Part I


Last month I attended the TFI Press and Buyers Brunch at World MasterCard Fashion Week. It’s a showcase of up and coming designers, and as such, a chance to discover a new brand. I always come away with one particular name that sticks. This season it was Ebby Rane.

Ebby Rane is a travel company aiming to revamp the suitcase for the jet-setting, luxury - and likely female - consumer. Its first product, the Quartermaster, is a carry-on fit for a weekend excursion. Ebby Rane (a nod to the creators' grandfathers) takes design inspiration from the bespoke trunks that accompanied voyages in the Victorian era. 


The Quartermaster by Ebby Rane

It comes in three colour combinations. Beyond its beautiful exterior, the Quartermaster's magic lies in the patented packing system that includes ten carryall inserts plus a leather clutch. It distills packing for a weekend down to a science - though its hefty price tag (roughly $1,000.00) leads me to believe I haven't quite achieved the jet-setting status they're going after. 

For the fashionably inclined, packing for a weekend trip can be challenging, at best. Whether its business or personal travel, there are shoes and accessories to consider not to mention the airlines restrictions on liquids and weight. I'm no expert in this arena (you'll find me at the baggage carousel), so I called of some of most jet-setting friends for their hottest tips on packing light. 

Suzanne Cohon of ASC Public Relations, Inc. hits the road for business and personal travel frequently.  "I always pack white tank tops (as they go under everything), a blazer, large scarfs and a great pair of jeans. These essential pieces give me lots of options and flexibility to dress for any occasion."

Yes, but what about shoes, I counter?  Suzanne's tip: "I try to travel with minimal options - one pair of flats, one pair of heels and one pair of trainers in case I have a moment to go for a run/ long walk. And always wear your largest shoes when you travel. It saves room in your bag."  


Bustle Clothing's Shawn Hewson admits, "I'm the worst packer."  As a designer, he's solved part of that dilemma. "One item I always like to travel with is a knit blazer. It's super handy when you're travelling, since it folds up easily and fits in something the size of a toiletries bag if you need it to. 



Bustle's French Terry Knit Blazer

"Since it's a knit," he continues, "it looks good even after it's been folded, and it's comfortable for moving through airports, lounges and planes.  And it's always good to wear a blazer in the airport - helps to reduce your chances of being "randomly selected" for additional screening."  Sage advice.

Holt Renfrew's Lisa Tant takes a methodical approach to packing. "I make a packing list based upon where I'm going and the main purpose of my trip - personal or business. I've learned the hard way to not just throw things in a case the night before. I ended up in Paris for two weeks once with a suitcase full of boring black clothes." Quel domage!


"I make sure that every piece can be worn more than one way and that I have my roster of wear-everywhere basics - jeans, black leggings, cashmere cardigans, a raincoat and motorcycle boots. I believe in layers and I always pack comfortable shoes including boots, cool sneakers (my new Nike Air Knits will be perfect) and flats. A couple of oversized patterned scarves are essential as is a roomy, but small, cross-body handbag."

Nike's Air Knit sneakers keep Lisa Tant comfy when traveling

"I make sure that every piece can be worn more than one way and that I have my roster of wear-everywhere basics - jeans, black leggings, cashmere cardigans, a raincoat and motorcycle boots. I believe in layers and I always pack comfortable shoes including boots, cool sneakers (my new Nike Air Knits will be perfect) and flats. A couple of oversized patterned scarves are essential as is a roomy but small cross-body handbag."

When travel requires a mix of business and pleasure, packing smart is absolutement a requirement. Designer Monica Mei packs pieces that can do double duty. "Women love the Aime Olivia pant that can take them from the boardroom to drinks by just adding a smokey eye, statement necklace and sky-high heels." In fact, Monica was so inspired by her recent travels she designed an entire collection for chic jet-setters. I'll dish more on the Aime by Monica Mei Seasonless 2014 collection next month.

So now we know what to pack. My next question is, how to fit it all in?  Stay tuned for A Pack Rat's Guide to Traveling Light - Part II coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment